The Philadelphia Photo Arts Center seeks highly motivated individuals who will benefit from the experience earned while participating in our internship program. We are particularly interested in applicants who have the potential to assist in the growth of the individual department as well as the larger organization. Applicants should be technically skilled and have a strong interest in photography, the visual arts, the Philadelphia community, or arts administration.
As a PPAC intern, you will have the opportunity to take PPAC classes, use PPAC’s digital equipment, and get a feel for the operations and processes of an arts nonprofit.
Please submit a current resume and cover letter detailing your background, applicable skills, reasons for applying, and the contact information of three references. In your cover letter please indicate the following:
- which internship you are applying for
- which time period you are applying for (either a six-month period or a twelve-month period)
- your schedule availability
Accepted applicants are expected to commit one day a week, for either a six or twelve-month period. Preferred hours: Tuesday-Thursday 12-6pm, or Friday 11am-5pm. College credit is available for those who request it. Applicants are required to currently be living in or have plans to relocate to Philadelphia area.
Email applications to email@example.com or mail them to:
Philadelphia Photo Arts Center
1400 N American Street #103
Philadelphia, PA 19122
After applications are reviewed, selected applicants will be contacted for interviews. Please note that only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Graphic Design + Social Media Intern
This part-time opportunity assists with graphic design and social media strategy. The intern will assist with the coordination and integration of all PPAC social media efforts and presence. This is an opportunity to apply your education to a professional setting, while gaining valuable experience and skills
The ideal candidate is looking to practice and explore their design capabilities, build their portfolio, and leave with statistical data that shares how their contribution increased PPAC’s social media presence. Preference will be given to those with a background in contemporary art or design – either through education or work experience and communications experience within nonprofit or for-profit sectors.
- Desire to learn and grow in creating and curating content for social media and web (including Facebook and Instagram)
- Undergraduate degree in graphic design, design, marketing, visual art or related experience
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills; ability to think strategically and creatively
- Attention to detail, strong organization and time management skills
- Design within the parameters of PPAC’s established visual identity
- Mastery of Google Sheets and Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Bridge
- Familiarity with social media content management platforms such Planoly or Hootsuite
- Strong storytelling skills with the ability to build narratives through social media
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to successfully engage colleagues across the organization
- Assist with concepts and follow-through development of design, production and completion of visual design projects as assigned
- Assist with PPAC’s Instagram and Facebook to effectively promote PPAC’s exhibitions, residencies, and programs in order to drive audience growth, cultivate visitor loyalty, and enhance the institution’s local and national reputation
- Note editorial errors on website and communicate with staff
- Liaise with PPAC’s departments to develop communication strategies and recommend appropriate platforms to support their programs and initiatives
- Set and evaluate goals related to account growth and audience engagement
- Stay up-to-date with latest art and design trends
- Welcome visitors to the gallery and stay informed on current exhibition, programs, and events at PPAC
- Other organization-wide duties as assigned by PPAC staff
- Increase the number of followers on Facebook and Instagram
- Develop a social media plan-of-action, including establishing hashtags across all departments and programs
- Develop a portfolio of design content used for social media and web
Arts Administration Intern
The Arts Administration Intern will assist the CEO and Comptroller. Responsibilities include: conducting donor and foundation research; database input and management; assist in the planning and execution of members and donor events; handle phone calls and customer service while working the front desk.
Interest in arts administration; technically proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel with some experience with Adobe Photoshop; strong verbal and written skills; ability to multitask; and highly organized.